Saturday, July 30, 2016

Local trips to Bulgaria and Transylvania

Last fall I took a 3 day weekend and drove to Sofia, Bulgaria to visit my friend/colleague who is also a nurse practitioner working in the same job as me. She joined a few months before me and is a PNW'er, so we clicked almost immediately years ago in a class on rural advance medical care. Sofia was similar in many ways to Bucharest, but had its own character. We took a day trip out to the Rila Monastery a beautifully preserved site in the mountains. We also did a walking tour and checked out the newly found Roman ruins that have been discovered buried deep under the city while building their new metro system. Super cool!






A week later I took a trip with the Bucharest Hash group to Transylvania for the annual Halloween Hash. It was a BLAST! I helped set the trail for the main run with CrashTestDummy (or more blandly known as Stuart). We stayed up late that night drinking and dancing then did the hangover hash Sunday morning (which entailed a 15 minute walk in the woods behind the hotel and then circle for some morning beer drinking...luckily I had the excuse of having to drive, so I got water), before driving back to Bucharest. Such a great group of people. It was a beautiful setting with all the leaves changing. I don't have pictures (thank goodness), but I was given my Hash name at this event. So as is tradition, I was doused with beer and flour on a chilly October morning and am now known as Cup N Cough.


Beer Stop!!

This Halloween Hash event has been happening for years with people coming from all over Europe to participate.

2 comments: