Sunday, December 21, 2014

The life (or lack there of) of a doctoral student

I hardly know I live in Bucharest, except that life is very easy compared to our last 2 posts.  I could pretty much be living anywhere in the world since all I have done since the day I landed is sit in my chair in front of my computer and read/write for school when I am not at work. I am just now coming out of the shackles of my most brutal semester back at school. I apologize to those of you who actually follow this craziness (and fun!) that is my life in the foreign service. I have now been in Bucharest exactly 4 months and today was one of the few days I actually went out and explored (darn...I didn't bring my camera).  It is a freaking beautiful, happening city!!  It has been of course busy moving and getting settled in our new home; adjusting to a new health unit and school for Otto. Otto has adjusted very well, but he is a new person now that he is a teenager (not always in a good way).  School was rough for him at first after 2 years of doing nothing in school in Bishkek, but he has made great progress and his teachers all see what a bright (but lazy) boy he is. I am really happy with the school and it is a perfect place for him.

I am working in a very organized, fully staffed, new health unit.  And even better, we are busy. I am actually seeing lots of patients each day. Nothing like my ER days, but busy enough that I really miss electronic health records for the charting support.  I have been lucky enough to have already stitched 3 people up (their injury misfortune is my joy!).  I am running into the usual early adjustment with the new staff, we are all feeling each other out, but honestly, I feel mostly bad for them having to deal with a new 'boss' every 3 years...and I am not the easiest person when it comes to insisting on high clinic standards. People have been welcoming and there is so much going on in the Embassy community being in a big, European city...the sad part is that I have not been able to participate.

I hope to do some city exploring (with camera in hand) over the next week. Otto flew out today to visit his dad in Portland and I am a free soul.  I do have some great photos from a trip Otto, his dad and I took to the Transylvania region in October.  Famous for everything Dracula. It was a lovely trip, so many castles. I will post photos soon.

In the meantime, I have updated my blog background and permanent photos to reflect my current post.  I had to include a picture of Vlad the Impaler (Dracula) since he is the most famous part of Romania to tourists.  I have also put an open book as the background since I will be in school for another year so do not feel like I can honestly lure you in with a beautiful scenic photo of something representative of Romania since I know most of my time here will be spent at my desk...for now. Once I have completed my studies, I will put up a representative background and get back to more regular blogging. In the mean time, I will do what I can.

Something to look forward to...I will only take one class next semester so I can actually try to enjoy my life here and in March I go to Lisbon, Portugal for my annual medical training.  Did I mention life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment