Sunday, November 25, 2012

Winter is here

...and so is my car - YEA! the Foreign Service has made me realize how dependent I am on my car. I am quite unhappy without one. a month or 6 weeks is fine, but after that it really grates on me. I feel so restricted and i hate depending on other people. Well, this time it has arrived just in time as winter is really here. and here are some photos to prove it.

We found some killer icicles

The Ski areas are just opening up. We went opening day to Zil, which is about an hour outside of  Bishkek. it wasn't terribly thrilling, but the snow is world class...not the heavy stuff we are used to. Otto has really become a great snowboarder. i haven't been on my board for 2.5 years, but it came right back. now i am ready for some challenging runs and back country powder.

there was only one lift and this was the gate. it was pretty high tech...we had a card that we had to swipe to get in.
Base of Zil Ski Resort
Winter Wonderland. walking Jackson (in his fleece vest) at the park near our house. he actually loves the snow and doesn't seem to be as bothered by the cold as we thought he would be.

A little hike on Veteran's day at Ala Archa national park.

It is lovely here. very cold, generally below freezing, although it warmed up a bit the last 2 days, so some of the snow in the city has melted. this is the only thing Ouagadougou was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment