Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Holiday Season to All

We are getting ready to go on our xmas safari tomorrow morning. We are going to a place called Ranch de Nazinga.  We should at least be able to see elephants, and then your routine variety of land animals in Africa and some birds. not so sure about lions or giraffe. It will be great to be out in the busy, 'camping' in a bungaloo and trying to get by on our limited French.

It doesnt feel much like xmas here, being in the high-90's every day, but we are making efforts. Here is our xmas tree.


Last night we went to a very nice holiday reception at the Ambassador's residence. Tons of people there and lots of good food. even Santa showed up - and i finally convinced Otto to let me take his photo (may have had something to do with the snickers bars Santa was handing out). I am lucky with the ex-pat community here. so many very nice and interesting people.


I was also given the book for this coming month's book club - so i am very excited to hook up with a book group again. The only problem is that it is centered in the main part of town, and once again, i wont have a way to get to the meetings.  I am thinking i may need to start my own Ouaga 2000 (the name of our neighborhood) book club, for those of us exiled out here.

Want to wish everyone a happy, restful, family filled holiday weekend. will hopefully have some good fotos to post next week of the Safari.  My love to all.

1 comment:

  1. hi Leslie: Sorry I was incommunicado! I noticed that you feel "exiled". Is it too isolating? We think about you at book club and in between as well. Send me your email address and I'll send you my holiday letter. I've made the move to Corvallis. Not sure you knew about that, so I too am exiled but get to visit Portland frequently. Thanks for your lovely blog.

    I've read Fareed Zakaria's book Post American World. Very fast but interesting read. Too much emphasis on economics but gives one some hope for america. Also Life without Lawyers. Did you read the Big Burn? We panned it's lack of politics and connection with today, but most enjoyed it. Also reading climbing the mango tree by Madhur jaffrey--very engaging about a relatively wealthy family in India.
    Hope you and Otto are well!
    best,
    Catherine Thomasson (thomassonc@comcast.net)
    ps how's the medicine?

    ReplyDelete