Friday, November 12, 2010

Riding on the Sidewalk

I do love DC, but 8 weeks is about enough. The weather here rivals the good old PNW.  but i have to admit, there are a few things that make me a little nutty. so i thought I would share:

lots of people smoke - in public, where i am walking.

people bicycle on the side walks!! and dont wear helmuts!! this could be my next public health mission.

the traffic is like nothing i have seen before (1.5 hours to go about 12 miles the other evening)

the lines at the grocery stores are like nothing i have seen before.  at the Trader Joe's across the street sometimes the line is about 1/8 mile long, esp on Sundays. I am not joking, it snakes the entire store and out the door.  i tried to take a photo, but it didnt work.

People are way too fancy - coats, shoes, suits, hair, blah, blah, blah. less money to spend on gear.

no IPA on tap. i have to walk over a mile to get any decent beer  (but the Whole Foods does carry my fav Caldera IPA in cans).

I finally found a cafe that sells good coffee (stumptown, cafe intelligensia), only to end up paying $2.50 for a 12 oz americano and 14 bucks for 12 oz of beans. and I got a bit of attitude from the barista (dude, i live in PDX).

Portland food ROCKS. there are some want-to-be's here, but they are few and far between (and expensive).

bottom line.  Portland has it all and we are very lucky...those of us who live there.

having ranted a bit, this is my last weekend here and i will enjoy it to the fullest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment