Saturday, September 25, 2010

The middle of the beginning

I think a blog is going to be the way for me to go.  i am still not so sure about the face book thing. this way you can see what i am up to and some photos and you can even tell me what you think. and the best part is that i will have it all recorded here on the blog for my grandchildren.

i feel like i am starting not so much at the beginning of this adventure, but as it is in progress. it has been a whirlwind getting me to my training in DC.  working full time, enjoying the last bits of summer with my son and preparing him as he started his 5th grade year.  all the sleepless nights worried about the pack out, where am i going, did i make the right decision?  only time will tell.

another reason i want to write this blog is to connect with other Foreign Service folks and those considering the FS. with the thought of maybe providing some information and insights into the process. i had a difficult time finding much information online about the life overseas of FS staff.

i feel like the most useful information may be what i have learned up to this point (related to getting ready for the big change in jobs). it is a huge leap to pack all of your belongings (HHE, UAB, long term storage... even the terms are all foreign), without knowing where you will be posted, quit your good job (in my case i had an excellent job), inform your family and friends of your decision to live a completely different life style. it was exhausting and overwhelming. for me not very exciting.  the excitement will come when i land at my post (more on that in a separate posting).

I did make it though and here i am in our lovely capital, Washington DC.  so much to do and see here, it is a great place to be for 8 weeks of training.  my days are full with class time and tons of very important information - from filling out my time sheet to cross cultural communication. i do miss patient care, but one of my new colleagues has needed some medical attention, so at least i feel useful.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Leslie, I am considering the FS, rather hoping they will at some point consider me. I haven't seen a timeline or information specific to your application process, but I am still browsing and may have missed it. If you'd be willing, this information would be very informative for those pursuing a FS career. Thank you for the insight you've provided about your path and travels.

    ReplyDelete