Wednesday, September 28, 2011

CALS - Minneapolis

I have just spent the past week in lovely Minneapolis.  I feel a bit bad, because I was badmouthing it here before I came (because it is one of 'those' middle states). Of course i had never been here, but being a PNW snob, i felt it my right/duty to judge it as inferior.  It rivals Portland (at least at this time of year). lots of water, bridges, biking/running trails, amazing buildings and a great mix of old and new. i really like it here.

The course has also been good (Comprehensive Advanced Life Support) - a lot of review of managing emergency situations and practicing procedures (fresh cadavers!!). all of this makes me very glad my background is in emergency medicine. it is frightening to think about what my resources are in Ouagadougou and how i would manage a truly bad medical condition. I realize how much i have taken for granted all of the resources and ancillary support i have become used to, working in the US. now i will just go back and keep my fingers crossed that i will never have to use any of this knowledge.

a little side note about the fresh cadavers. can i just say (to anyone listening), that the people who donate their bodies to science cannot be thanked enough for what they provide us learners. there is just no way to compare practicing procedures on an animal and/or plastic mannequin, compared to a human. it hurts my heart to work on these folks and think about the life that has ended and the loss that is felt by their family and friends, but i hope that they can realize what heroes these people are for giving us the chance to learn.

as for photos. once again, i could fill this entry with pictures of this beautiful city, but you can just look it up on google and the photos would probably be better than any of mine. except for this one...
My crew. These are the people i went through orientation with (Cece, Jerry and Kayle) a year ago. it has been fantastic beyond words to spend the past week with them. I don't know how we lucked out and were brought together. i feel like they are my family (and Jerry likes to call us his wives).
I head out tomorrow. It will be good to be home. I miss Otto and i know there is plenty of work to be done waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment