Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'll do anything, no really anything...to get out of the house

So, i have taken up softball (haven't played since my youth). i am even looking online to buy gloves for Otto and myself.  There is a tournament here in Feb with the ex-pat community from neighboring Niger (if they are allowed to travel after the recent kidnapping - did that make news in the US?).

it looks like i will start playing poker - because that seems to be the card game played here (I would have preferred bridge, does that mean i am middle aged?). tonight i am going to a neighbors house for 'game night' - what ever that is, but i am there!!

all of a sudden i love going grocery shopping every Sunday - even if i have nothing to buy. i even said yes to going to check out a random department store (W Africa style).  what is happening to me!?!?!

i went to a happy hour last Friday, which i would normally never put myself in a situation like that - surrounded by 20+people i didnt know (I sat in a corner and talked to a 70-ish year old Australian who was here business-sitting for his son).  but desperate times call for desperate acts.

It has been good to get to know my new community - as best as i am able to get out of my shy self and try to hold social conversations with random people. practice makes perfect, right.

What i really need to be doing is taking photos to share with everyone. here is one from a month or so ago of some property in the bush that one of my local colleagues owns. they have plans to build a house on the land, but currently they have a lovely garden - and they use the produce grown at their restaurant.


Otto at the birthday party of a neighbors. Horseback riding is very big here.

2 comments:

  1. I just recently discovered your blog. I'll be heading to Benin this summer, so it's been fun read about your adventures nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to see a pic of you riding a horse! :) thanks for updating us!

    ReplyDelete